Saturday, August 6, 2011

THE NOBLE OBJECTIVE BEHIND FASTING DURING RAMADHAN







On Friday evening, I visited the Ramadhan Bazaar in Sitiawan..  It is located near the Astaka Basketball Court.  This is the third Ramadhan Bazaar that I had visited during the first week of the fasting month. The food stalls and also the variety of food sold here are not as many as the first two I visited.
In previous years, I went overboard when I visited such bazaars.  I bought more food that I could possibly eat and ended up stuffing myself silly or giving the food to my neighbours.  This year I told myself to buy just enough.  

During school assembly on Friday morning, Ustaz Syed gave a talk to those present about the meaning of Ramadhan fasting.  He mentioned that the word Ramadhan meant intense heat. The Ramadan month is a time of spiritual reflection and worship.  Ustaz Syed said that fasting is to redirect the heart away from worldly activities with the purpose of cleansing the inner soul.  It aims to teach Muslims to  practice self-discipline, self-control, sacrifice, and empathy for those who are less fortunate; thus encouraging actions of generosity and charity.  He said that he was saddened to see people religiously going to the Ramadhan Bazaars every day during the fasting month to buy all sorts of delicious food to break fast but not so the religious sermons held in the mosques during this month.
Hmm ... I a Taoist actually felt bad after I heard what he said.  There are my Muslim friends going on a fast for a noble cause and there I am going to the Bazaars to feast on the food.  For your information, I only bought a packet of drink as I was going to have dinner in Ipoh with my mum and aunt later that night.

No comments: