Wednesday, May 11, 2011

GOING TO THE PRESS TO HIGHLIGHT CORRODED WATER FAUCET

 After living in my house for about five months, the faucet was broken.  When the plumber came and took out the rest of the tap, we found that the faucet was badly corroded.
The picture above was taken at the MCA Service Centre in Sitiawan when I first brought my case to Mr Ting Tai Fook who is the Private Secretary to Dato' Kong Cho Har, the Malaysian Minister of Transport.  He had advised me to lodge a police report first so that it would be helpful if I filed my case with the Consumer Tribunal later on.  He also advised me to write an official letter to YNH Enterprise or better known as Kar Sin Enterprise to ask them to reimburse me for the two taps I had changed.  The other was broken.  In my letter I had also asked them to check all my pipes, pay for a medical check-up for me as I had drunk the water for 5 months.  Also if I became ill because of drinking the contaminated water, then they should pay my medical bill. 

Well, the letter to YNH Enterprise but that did not work. After two weeks, I phoned and told them that if they did not do anything I'd go to the press and the Consumer Tribunal. They then sent the Maintenance Manager over to talks terms with me. Out of the four terms that I wanted they only agreed to one and a half. I actually was willing to compromise about them paying for me to have a medical check-up by suggesting that the management write me a letter of apology for supplying me with a low quality faucet which would threaten my health. However, it seemed that it was impossible for the management to issue me with a letter of apology. By the way, the manager said that it is company policy not to entertain requests to pay for ones medical check-up.
Anyway, all my attempts at negotiation fell flat and finally Mr Ting arranged for me to meet reporters from Sin Chew Jit Poh, Nanyang Siang Pow and Sinar this afternoon. The reporters from the Chinese newspapers came at around 3.15 p.m. The Sinar Harian reporter came at around 3.45 p.m. as she had to cover another function first.
In the above pictures, you see the corroded faucet after the plumber had removed it.

Here I am with Mr Ting showing the reporters the corroder faucet and the water which is contaminated. I pointed out to them that the matter may initially appear as trivial but if people were to drink such type of water from corroded taps, then they might end up with kidney failure or organ damage.

Here I am with Mr Ting showing the reporters the corroder faucet and the water which is contaminated. I pointed out to them that the matter may initially appear as trivial but if people were to drink such type of water from corroded taps, then they might end up with kidney failure or organ damage.
Mr Ting speaking to the pressmen. He highlighted the fact that I was willing to step forward to air my discontent as I felt that it is my civic duty to do something so that others might not be subjected to a similar fate.
The reporters taking down what Mr Ting has to say and hopefully they would help to highlight my plight.  It is my wish that those people who have bought houses with the same housing developer would check their faucets to make sure that they are okay. 

Cik El-Leida Jaafar, the reporter from Sinar Harian interviewing my neighbour Cikgu Daniel who also owns a house built by the same housing developer, YNH Properties. He has also experienced a lot of problems with the developer.
Besides Daniel, the reporter also interviewed my other neighbour Cikgu Jalaluddin.  Actually, my next door neighbour who only found out about the presence of the reporters told me that the water coming out from her tap was black.  Unfortunately, the reporters had already left. 
Miss Cheah with the pretty reporter from Sinar Harian, Miss El-Leida Jaafar.  According to Miss El-Leida, the article might take a few days to be published.  So please be on the lookout.

No comments: